The Ninth Street (at St. Mary between Ninth and Harmony -- later 3138 Magazine at Ninth Street
between Camp, and Constance), in 1865 was considered small, at only 32-by 150 feet (and valued then at $15,000). It
was wired for electricity in 1903 when it still retained it's value assessment.
The market was remodeled
in 1914 at an expenditure of $13,248.35. Sam Stone submitted plans for vestibules in the market in 1915.
In l931 Sam
Stone Jr. & Company submitted a plan for renovation which included the furnishing of
From the New Olreans Public Library:
The article accompanying this
image gave brief histories of New Orleans' city markets, including the Ninth Street Market shown here. The article was occasioned
by a proposed change in the way the city's markets were managed. Markets of New Orleans, some of them nationally famous, which
have again been brought to public attention by the proposal to lease them. Ninth street market, 9th and Magazine. Photo
As of 2004 the building was used as Peter A. Chopin's florist shop.