Cafe du Monde, famed for its coffee and beignets, was established
in the 1860s. A landmark for tourists and locals alike, Cafe du Monde is located in the old meat market, which dates from
1813. The building was extensively renovated by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s and again in the 1970s, at
which time its owners were required by the Vieux Carre Commission to remove the trademark neon sign and awnings seen in Mrs.
Gulledge's photograph. Cafe du Monde prides itself on the fact that remains open twenty-four hours a day, 7 days a week (except
for Christmas Day). In March, 2001, a fire in the kitchen forced its first unscheduled closure in modern memory. It was back
in operation after a week.
Rules and Regulations Governing Public & Private Markets
5814 OS 1861 Approving the adjudication
by the Comptroller of revenues to be derived from the various markets.
1865 Providing for the purchase of a square of ground in the rear of Poydras Market for the purpose of enlarging same.
Photo http://nutrias.org/~nopl/monthly/november2008.htm - In 1869 the city's sixteen market houses were appraised at just under $2.5 million, the most valuable category of city-owned
property during that time. Three of those entities--the Beef Market, the Vegetable Market, and the Fruit Market--comprised
what we now know as the French Market, the only market remaining under municipal ownership today.This month's image is a postcard
from ca. 1910 showing the Fruit Market building that once sat upon the space now occupied by the Jeanne d'Arc statue at St.
Philip Street between Decatur and North Peters--directly in front of the Vegetable Market building.Unlike many other market
views this image focuses on people within the market rather than on the buildings themselves. It is also interesting because
of the "Glad U Kum" sign sitting amidst the fruit being offered for sale. The sign is an early acknowledgment of
the role of conventions and tourism in the Crescent City, in this case the April 10-15, 1910 Annual Session of the Ancient
Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine ("Shriners") in New Orleans.