In 1921 the city advertised for the sale of the franchise on the Prytania Market site located in the
4800 block of Prytania Street, between Upperline, Lyons, & Perrier streets. In 1923
the city awarded the franchise to Charles F. Buck, Jr. Meanwhile, Sam Stone Jr., who had renovated many New Orleans markets
was chosen to make alterations and additions to the Prytania Market in 1922.
Sam Stone, Jr. & Co. made improvementson
the building in 1938.
From the New Orleans Public Library:
The Prytania Market stood on the River side of Prytania
Street at the corner of Upperline. From its earliest days, the city operated public fish, vegetable, and meat markets situated
in neighborhoods throughout town. City ordinances regulated stall rental, the products that could or could not be sold at
certain markets or times of the year (before refrigeration, for example, the sale of shrimp, fish, or crabs, was prohibited
between May 1 and October 1) and enforced very specific health and sanitary regulations. The advent of supermarkets in the
1950s brought an end to the era of the public market, and today, only the French Market remains under municipal ownership,
more a tourist attraction now than a viable market. Some of the old market buildings have survived, however, restored to new
uses as offices or shops. The site of the Prytania Market is now home to a small public park. [Louisiana Photograph Collection.
Municipal Government Collection; Department of Property Management Series]
Photo circa 1920s at http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/u?/CLF,3869