Poydras Market (on Poydras Street between Baronne and South Rampart) was completed in 1837
on ground ceded by the Carrollton Railroad Company.
By 1865 the city made provisions to purchase
a square of ground in the rear of Poydras Market for the purpose of enlarging it. It was then descibed as being located
on Dryades Steet, between Baronne and Rampart, and consisting of "large brick, iron pillars, plastered and slated"
roof -- all valuedat $380.000.
Maylies (restaurant) was opened originally as a coffee shop in the Poydras Market by
Madame Esparbe. In 1876, it moved to a larger building across the street, noted for the wisteria vine that coiled about its
facade. It soon became a famous restaurant around the world, and remained a New Orleans favorite until its closing in 1986.
In 1890 the city surveyer submitted a new proposed plan.
1903 the market was wired for electricity and the Market Assessement Value for the market was $50,000 with an additional $5000
value for the "front of".
In 1906 market dealers petitioned the city for a streetlight
at Melmomene at Terpsichore.
A 1909 petition by Herbert H. Ruch sought a refrigerator
or ice-box in Poydras Market (side of market facing S. Poydras between Baronne and Dryades).
Poydras Market roasted coffee and chicory label. Date unknown.
Jules Guerin painting ca. 1895 -- View of market before 1898 from Rampart Street end. Shows market building with shuttered
cupola. Shows mule drawn carriages and pedestrians. At right a woman waits under a covered walkway with two wooden barrels.
A sign above reads "exchange".
Poydras Market, from Gibson's Guide and Directory of the State of Louisiana, and the Cities of New Orleans
and Lafayette, 1838 (NOPL)
The caption reads "Under the Poydras Market cupola." This public market, built in 1838 and
remodeled in 1898, stood in the middle of Poydras Street between Baronne and South Rampart. Most photographs of this distinctive
building show it from a distance; this one gives a more intimate view of the market in use--and the streetcar trundling down
Poydras Street. NOPL
William Woodward 1934 etching -- People shopping for poultry, vegetables, and other food items at the Poydras Market.