Second Street Market was on Second Street at the corner of Dryades between First and Baronne streets.
It was a quasi-public market franchised to H.B. Bowles for $500 per month.
Joseph Raymond was awared the franchise in 1840. Raymond, a wool and hide merchant also
built and managed the Washington Market. Joseph Raymond's Second Street Market contained 122 stalls for meat,
fish, and vegetable dealers. Paved with stone the building was supported by columns and topped with a cupola.
The market was easily accessable via the Canal and St. Charles streetcars.
Joseph Bilgery took over the operation of the market in 1877.
It was valued at $10,000 in 1903.