LeBreton Market opened in 1857 on the site of the Choctaw Indian market trading center near Bayou
St. John was the oldest in the city where blankets, herbs, baskets and powdered sassafras root (gumbo file') were traded
with white men for guns, knives and trinkets.
Located on Bayou the Bayou Road neutral ground between Dorgenois
and Broad streets at 1403 North Dorgenois Street, by 1903 it was valued at $3,000.
LeBreton and St. Bernard markets
were screened in 1914 at a cost of $30,485.45 and in 1915 Sam Stone planned the addition of a vestibule to the building.
1933 through 1938 Sam Stone, Jr. & Co. worked on the building.
As of 2005 it was used as a church.
the New Orleans Public Library:
LeBreton Market, corner Bayou Road & North Dorgenois Street, used to be an Indian
trading center where Choctaws brought their blankets, baskets, medicinal herbs, and gumbo file to barter for guns, knives,
or trinkets. St. Rose de Lima Catholic Church is visible in the background as is the once-thriving business row across
from the Market.