Public markets were sold to private interests beginning
in 1946. Between June 21 to August 23, 1946, the city sold five public markets.
1946 Schwegmann Brothers Giant Supermarket opens on St. Claude near Elysian Fields.
1948 12 markets sold at auction, 2 demolished and used for street
widening, Dryated abandoned as markt but usted by State Health Departemnt as a training center – then demolished.