A city ordinance of 1852 provided for the erection of a market house in the center of Claiborne
Street (the neutral ground), between Common and Jackson streets.
It was built on the Claiborne Ave. neutral ground
at Common Street (now Tulane Avenue and Palmyra Street).
In 1865 Claiborne Market was a plastered building
with iron columns and a slated roof valued at $25,000. By 1903 it was appraised at only $10,000.
market was demolished, along with several other aging public markets, in 1931.