Named for City Councilman John A. Lautenschlaeger, this market, designed in 1901 as an open-air market
by the city engineer William J. Hardee. It is located at 1930 Burgundy Street at Touro.
A 1903 city ordinance provided that thet market be erected at Touro Street at
Burgundy Aveneu be known as Lauteuschlaeger Market. It was enclosed in 1929.
Works Progress Administration renovated it in 1938 (at 1930 Burgundy Street) - see photo below - when the
market was enclosed with a brick wall three feet high. A new slate roof replaced the old roof. The interior of the market
was plastered, painted, and new woodwork installed under the plans of Sam Stone, Jr. & Co.
1946 it was sold to a private entity but continued to operate as a market, then a fish market.
In 2003 it was converted to condominiums..