In 1900 the city established a public market in the Fifth District on the west bank of the
Mississippi River within radius bounded by Homer, Elize, Elmira and Teche Streets, and to provide for the sale of lease. In
1903 the market was provided with electrical lighting and was valued at $2,000.
Larkin Playground was established by Ordinance 8811 CCS on the site of the old St. John Market on Patterson St. near the Third
District Ferry Landing for the purpose of a "wading pool center." The playground was named for Reverend Thomas J.
Larkin, S.M., who served as pastor of Holy Name of Mary Church for many years.