Doullut Market was located on Dauphine Street (Dauphine, Burgundy, Egania and Lazardi Street)
in the Holy Cross neighborhood of the Ninth Ward.
Some time before 1901 Captain Milton P. Doullut paid
for the construction of a public market in the 3rd District according to plans drawn by the city engineer in return for management
of the operation of the market and a share of its profits. Captain Doullut, a New Orleans native, had succesfully
built a business in the construction and operation of steel tugboats, steel barges and other river craft before
he teamed with Willian Horace Williams to form the firm of Doullut & Williams, civil engineers and general contractors
in 1907. Empire, Louisiana was first named Dollut [sic] for M. P. DOULLUT who developed the Empire and Ostrica
Locks on each side of the Mississippi River. In 1933
the city extended the franchise granted under Ordinance
3798 NCS, for five years. The Doullut''s name is also recalled as he built the Steamboat Houses in the Ninth Ward Holy
Cross neighborhood of New Orleans in 1905 and 1913.