Washington Market, built in 1838, was located down river in Faubourg Marigny at the corner of corner
Louisa and Moreau (which has been changed in name to Chartres) streets.
The Louisiana Legislature, in 1840, passed
an act to permit the establishment by the three municipalities of workhouses or prisons to house and employ "all persons
legally committed by any magistrate authorized to commit vagrants." On June 13, 1844, the Third Municipality Council
ordained the establishment of a facility to serve as a reformatory, asylum, and jail on the site of the Washington Market.
In 1865 the market was described as including "127 feet, small iron pillars and slate roof.
Value $10,000. An 1899 ordinance donated the site bounded by Piety, N. Peters, Chartres and Louisa Streets to Washington
A new Washington Market opened on May 1, 1875, constructed and operated under a franchise agreement with Joseph
Nocas Raymond (who had also built and managed the Second Street Market). Terms of the franchise included exemption from
city taxes for twenty years and six months. The new market was located on Washington Avenue facing St. Claude Avenue.
Stone submitted plans in 1914 for a Washington Market on St. Roch Avenue and in 1915 designed a vestibule for the building.