The city established the St. Bernard Market in 1854, providing a market house be erected at Claiborne
and St. Bernard Avenues (1522 St. Bernard Ave), between Laharpe and Robertson Streets. In 1865 it was described as triangle,
191 by 176 feet with small iron pillars a slate roof, and lots adjoining. Its market value was $15,000. By 1903 it was
estimated to be worth only $5,000.
LeBreton and St. Bernard markets were screened in 1914 at a cost
of $30,485.45. In 1915 Sam Stone drew plans for the addition of a vestibule.
the city authorized the purchase of additional property to enlarge site - work was done by Sam Stone, Jr. & Co.
1941 the half of the market property was sold to Jacob Steinman -- the other half to his five siblings -- all of whom also
purchased adjacent properties. In 1949 the property was sold to the George Wainer, and his immediate family who
sold it in 1954 to the 3rd District Homestead Association -- the same day the Homestead turned it over to Herbert J Gabriel
and Mike Gabriel at a $20,000 loss. In 1964, the building was sold to Circle Food Realty, Inc., in exchange for the
controlling share of stock in the company by the Gabriels. In 1995 Herbert Gabriel passed the business on to the head manager
and current owner (as of 2010), Dwayne Boudreaux. Boudreaux testified in 2010 that ts heyday, the Circle Food Store
was a crucial component of life in the 7th Ward and that it hosted the largest Easter display in the city, moved the highest
volume of bell peppers, and that the store had housed a doctor, a dentist, and a chiropractor. (see http://theneworleansblightblog.wordpress.com/)
market was open until Hurricane Katrina (in 2005) still operating as the Circle Foods grocery store, seen below in 1954.