The Original Fabacher’s Restaurant, Oyster House and Hotel by J. Earl Rogers, publisher, ca. 1910 (94-743-RL)
petition Ruch, Herbert H. License for refrigerator or ice-box in Poydras Market Side of market facing S. Poydras
between Baronne and Dryades 7/27/1909 7/29/1909
1910 Amending Ord. 4155 to provide that no
fresh meat shall be brought into a market before 1:00 AM, nor left on stand or hanging up after closing at night.
Dryades, 1500 plan
July 24, 1911
1911 The 34th, and last, of the city’s public markets opens.
July 24, 1911
1911 Old Dryades torn down replaced with $60,000 structure which included refrigeration plant
Through the late 19th
and early 20th centuries, smaller markets sprang up across the city. By the time the last went up in 1911, New Orleans boasted more than 30 publicly owned markets, more than any other large American
Public markets bolstered a healthy urban infrastructure: a new market typically attracted satellite shops and served as a keystone
in the creation of a thriving business district.
Buy Your Groceries at the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. (Incorporated):
Street New Orleans:
Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, 1911
Market in the rear of the Third Ward [in the vicinity of Banks, Baudin, Alexander & Murat] 1912
1912 markets under jurisdicition of the Department of Public Property
Delamore Market Providing for the sale of a franchise
to the site of Delamore Market for the purpose of erecting a new market. Old market destroyed by storm Sept. 1915.
Bazaar Market seriously damaged by the 1915 hurricane.
From the New Orleans
Jefferson Market (1916) photo http://nutrias.org/~nopl/monthly/mar2002/market.htm
- Another proud accomplishment of the Behrman administration was the construction of a number of new public
markets. "These markets," the 1916 volume says, "are designed to give the maximum of cleanliness and sanitation
as well as freedom from flies and other contaminating insects and are of steel frame construction to insure stability and
durability." This photograph shows the Jefferson Market, Magazine Street and General Pershing, under construction by
the H.W. Bond Co. The market was remodeled in 1932, and at the ceremonies celebrating its reopening,
the Times-Picayune Commissioner Fred Earhart deplored "the chain stores policy of sending their money outside
the city and urged support of home merchants." Times apparently haven't changed so drastically after all. The building, designed by City Architect E.A. Christy, now houses the gymnasium of St. George's Episcopal School.
1917 The legendary Begué’s Restaurant closes after having been in operation for more
than 35 years.
4210 CCS 1917 Authorizing plans and specifications and advertisement for bids for the constructin of the Jefferson Market, which
was destroyed by the storm.
1918 Frenchman “Count”
Arnaud Cazenave opens Arnaud’s Restaurant at 813 Bienville Street.
1919 Piggly-Wiggly, America’s first national self-serve grocery chain—founded
in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1916—appears for the first time in a New Orleans City Directory, with seven franchise locations.