In 1903 the city provided for the for the acquisition and dedication of sites for public markets,
including Magazine and Octavia Streets for the Ewing Market.
Sam Stone submitted the design plan in 1906, the year this
Sixth District market opened. Named in honor of David Ewing, a former councilman from the district, it was built by Craven
and Kane, who also constructed the Memory and Mehle markets, with salvaged material from the Pilie Market.
Ewing Market was located at 5500 Magazine Street and was remodeled by Sam Stone Jr. & Co. in 1931. It reopened
in 1932 with much flair when a parade and music by the NOPSI (New Orleans Public Service Incorporated) Band celebrated the
event hosted by the Ewing Market Business Men's Association.