New Orleans City Park (Images of America)

The Two Sisters - Marion Wadsworth Harvey & Erminia Wadsworth


Since 1994 the Pavilion of the Two Sisters has been the venue of countless weddings, parties, and meetings but few in attendance know who it was named for. The sisters are its benefactors Marion Wadsworth Harvey (1900-1982) and Erminia Wadsworth (1910-2000).

Erminia, the Newman School Librarian and close friend of Ruth Dreyfous, was asked by Felix to plan the Delgado Museum library which included a book restoration room and research area (pictured are some of the museums rare books in 1953). She was a member of the Intellectual Freedom Committee of the Louisiana Library Association and benefactor of St. Mary's Dominican High School's Library and Technology Center.

Marion was the wife of Herbert Joseph Harvey, Sr.; one of his ancestors dug the Harvey Canal, another owned Destrehan Plantation. As a widow in 1969,
Marion and her son Herbert Joseph Harvey, Jr. established the Azby Fund with assets in real estate, timber, oil and gas worth approximately $15,000,000. The fund is named for last male heir of the Destrehan family, Nicholas Azby Destrehan, who had grown up on the plantation. (LDL)

Horizontal Divider 7

~The Bayou, Road, Oaks, and Native Americans: 1400-1769~
~Plantation to Peristyle: 1770-1907~
~Expansion and Modernization: 1908-1928~
~The New Deal: 1929-1939~
~Children & Friends: 1940-2004~
~Rebirth: 2005-2010~
~The People Behind the Names: Donors, Benefactors, and Patrons~
Photo Gallery

The images in this book appear courtesy of the New Orleans Public Library (NOPL), Louisiana Digital Library (LDL), the Library of Congress (LOC), The Historic New Orleans Collection (HNOC), Pictometry International (PI), and D.C. "Infrogmation" May (DCM). Unless otherwise noted, images are from the author's collection.

A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this book is dedicated to Friends of City Park.

Contact Catherine Campanella