By 1940 the WPA had improved and beautified many playgrounds, one of which can be seen here in front of the Carousel
pavilion. In 1940 the record attendance of 34,345 in the stadium is thought to have been set during the Jesuit/Holy Cross
game, far surpassing the seating capacity of 26,500. The second of the pair of Dueling Oaks was uprooted during a hurricane
in 1949. (NOPL)
The images in this book appear courtesy of the New Orleans Public Library (NOPL), Louisiana Digital Library (LDL), the Library
of Congress (LOC), The Historic New Orleans Collection (HNOC), Pictometry International (PI), and D.C. "Infrogmation"
May (DCM). Unless otherwise noted, images are from the author's collection.