New Orleans City Park (Images of America)

The McFadden Mansion


Fred Bertrand built a five bedroom two bath house on four acres edging the park in 1909. Ten years later Texas oil millionaire William Harding McFadden bought, remodeled, and greatly enlarged it to use as second home while he and his wife visited New Orleans for the Carnival Season, the racing season, and Sugar Bowl games. The mansion contained 11 bedrooms, 11 baths, a ballroom, trophy room, and drawing rooms. On one side of the house was a sunken garden, on the other an oriental garden. On the property was a lovers lane featuring an iron arbor, bamboo canes, roses and wisterias. A large marble-lined indoor swimming pool was surrounded by lush plantings.  This would become Christian Brothers School.

 : :

~The Bayou, Road, Oaks, and Native Americans: 1400-1769~
~Plantation to Peristyle: 1770-1907~
~Expansion and Modernization: 1908-1928~
~The New Deal: 1929-1939~
~Children & Friends: 1940-2004~
~Rebirth: 2005-2010~
~The People Behind the Names: Donors, Benefactors, and Patrons~
Photo Gallery

The images in this book appear courtesy of the New Orleans Public Library (NOPL), Louisiana Digital Library (LDL), the Library of Congress (LOC), The Historic New Orleans Collection (HNOC), Pictometry International (PI), and D.C. "Infrogmation" May (DCM). Unless otherwise noted, images are from the author's collection.

A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this book is dedicated to Friends of City Park.

Contact Catherine Campanella