Christian Science Monitor reported on October 20, 1937, “100,000 trees have been planted in the extension
of New Orleans' City Park on the 1100-acre swamp in which alligators were hunted even after its purchase by the city for a
park”. In that year Orleans Avenue between City Park Avenue and Rober.t E. Lee Boulevard was renamed Marconi Boulevard
which is pictured here in 1950. (LDL)
The images in this book appear courtesy of the New Orleans Public Library (NOPL), Louisiana Digital Library (LDL), the Library
of Congress (LOC), The Historic New Orleans Collection (HNOC), Pictometry International (PI), and D.C. "Infrogmation"
May (DCM). Unless otherwise noted, images are from the author's collection.