Storyland opened in 1956 populated by nursery rhyme characters, some hanging in the ancient oaks and all designed by
Blain Kern. This enchanting world of plaster and cement figures included Captain Hook and his ship, the Old Woman and her
shoe, Pinocchio and the whale (with a gaping jaw to be walked into), Jack & Jill on their hill, Cinderella in her Pumpkin
Coach (children could join her), King Cole in his Castle, Red Riding Hood and the wolf, Hansel and Gretel, the Little Prince,
Little Miss Muffet, Alice in Wonderland. the Three Pigs, Snow White, Hey Diddle Diddle, and Humpty Dumpty (whose “wall”
was Storyland's maintenance shop). Built adjacent to the Flying Horses at a cost of $25,000, Storyland attracted ½
million visitors in 1958 when Park Amusement Company was managed by Frank Davis. It is seen here in 1960.