The Jefferson Bottling Company (716 Frisco Avenue) produced Hires Root Beer, and other
beverages. It was owned by Pailet Industries which also operated the Marada Stock Farms at the same location and The Metairie
Ridge Ice Company at 308 North Labarre Road. The bottling company (still owned by Pailet) is now National Beverage Corporation
and is located in Harahan. The advertisement above ran in 1949. Its neighbor, still operating at 601 Metairie Road, just
across the Southern Railroad tracks (a grade separation was proposed for here in 1955) the Metry Café has been serving
locals for decades. The advertisement below ran in 1949 but during the 1960’s Mama Mia’s Italian Restaurant was
located here. In the same shopping strip, Metairie Hardware and Paint Store (605), owned and operated by C.P. Schexnayder
offered deliveries during the 1940s.
609 Metarie Road was Villar & Sons Roofing Contractors where “Villars Roofs Fool the Rain” -- during the 1940s
Villar offered Genuine Bangor Slates and Ru-Ber-Oid Asbestos Shingles.