Signs of New Orleans

St. Joseph's Parochial School


Sicilian born river-boat captain Salvatore Pizzati donated $75,000 to Mother Cabrini in 1906 to build her orphanage on Esplanade Avenue.  He was also a patron of St. Joseph's Parochial School at 417 South Roman Street -- where his name "Captain Salvatore Pizzati" was inscribed in stone above the main entrance.

Photograph courtesy of the Louisiana Digital Library.