Members of the Sclafani family opened their first restaurant in New Orleans’ mid-city
in 1945, operated a restaurant and catering hall on Hayne Boulevard in New Orleans East for several years before Hurricane
Katrina, and run a cooking school in Old Metairie but the most famous of their endeavors was Restaurant Sclafani at 1315 North
Causeway Boulevard. Constructed in 1958 the big red brick building was a landmark as well as the venue for many weddings,
bridal showers, and special nights out. The restaurant closed in 1985.
(Courtesy of the Louisiana Digital Library.)