In 1859 Theodore Bruning moved his Carrollton restaurant to Buctown/East End. There were
no levees and roads flooded from September to April so Mr. Bruning opened his doors from Easter Sunday until Labor Day of
each year. In 1886 Bruning’s moved to the location it remained in until Hurricane Georges badly damaged it in 1998.
The restaurant moved to an on-land building next door where Bruning’s served seafood until Hurricane Katrina destroyed
the West End/East End area. Bruning's was the third oldest restaurant in New Orleans; only Antoine's and Tujaques pre-dated
it. For a time Bruning’s had dancing waitresses and rows of slot machines. During the early 1900s J.C. Bruning owned
and operated the White Squadron -- 42 white fishing boats (16 and 18 feet long) which he rented for 50 cents per day. Below,
the photograph of the two women was taken at Bruning’s in 1949. (Courtesy of the Jefferson Parish Yearly Review.)