The opening of the New Basin Canal to West End in 1838 (and its famous shell road)
allowed the area to thrive as an additional resort and entertainment area. This 1919 map shows the new canal (labeled N.O.
Navigation Canal) as well as the older Carondelet Canal which led to Bayou St. John. Adams Avenue (which can be seen
running near the shoreline) would become Robert E. Lee Boulevard and West End, Spanish Fort, and Milneburg whould be set far
back from the lake after land was reclaimed during the 1920s and 1930s.