The Bayou St. John Light was the
first lighthouse built in the U.S. outside the 13 original colonies. The station was established on Bayou St. John at the
lake in 1811. The original lighthouse was destroyed by a storm in 1837. In 1838 a new 48 foot tower was constructed. By 1855
a cottage-type structure on pilings replaced the older lighthouse. The light was deactivated in 1878. It no longer exists.
(Courrtesy of U.S. Coast Guard.)