This 1759 map illustrates the short natural trail (left)
through surrounding swamp which connects The Mississippi Rivers (and New Orleans) to Bayou St. John and the connecting waterways
(top right) leading to the Gulf of Mexico.
Iberville’s Native American guide showed him the ancient road through the forest which was
used as a portage, allowing inhabitants to carry their canoes approximately one mile from the Mississippi River to Bayou St.
John which led directly to Lake Pontchartrain. From the lake one could easily navigate to the Gulf of Mexico near Biloxi.
(Courtesy Library of Congress.)