Lake Pontchartrain (Images of America)

New Canal Light - 1838



Established in 1838 and first lit in 1901, the New Canal Light sat at West End and what was the entrance to the New Basin Canal. Francis D. Gott was awarded the contract to build this light as well as the Port Pontchartrain and Pass Manchac lighthouses. In 1855 a new lighthouse (pictured) replaced the original.


The current West End/New Basin Light was built in 1890 and moved to its current location in 1910. It was one of the few structures to survive the 1903 Cheniere Caminada storm when its female keeper Caroline Riddle housed survivors there. It was damaged during hurricanes in 1926 and 1927, after which it was raised on raised on concrete piers. In 1936 the breakwater around the station was filled in, placing the light on dry land. During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, in 2005, the lighthouse was badly damaged and lack of care resulted in it collapsing months after the storms. At the time of this writing, the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation was seeking funding to restore this historic treasure.


Other books by Catherine Campanella:

Excerpts from New Orleans City Park (Images of America)

The Beginning
West End
Back to the Bayou
War and Peaceful Pursuits
Life on the Lake
Photo Gallery
More Lake Pontchartrain History

Pages Recommended by Your Friends:

A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this book is dedicated to the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation's efforts to rebuild the historic New Canal Lighthouse.

Contact Catherine Campanella