The first Port Pontchartrain Light
(also called the Milneburg Lighthouse) was built in 1832 and replaced with the existing structure (pictured) in 1855. It was
damaged during the Civil War but repaired and re-lighted in 1863. After a fifteen foot storm surge killed an estimated 2000
people in the 1893 hurricane, survivors were cared for and taken in by Ellen Wilson the female lightkeeper. It was deactivated
in 1929. Built on piers in the lake with an adjacent keeper’s house it would later be surrounded by concrete in Kiddieland
at the Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park. Having withstood the ravages of Hurricane Katrina this century and a half old structure
can now be found in the University of New Orleans Technology Center.