The Rigolets connects Lake Pontchartrain to
the Mississippi Sound and the Gulf of Mexico. “Rigolets" comes from the word French rigole which means "trench"
or "gutter." The West Rigolets Lighthouse was built in 1855. From 1898 until 1912, Anna M. Read served there as
one of the many women lighthouse keepers on Lake Pontchartrain. The light had been in disrepair for many years and was completely
destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.